The phrase, "I can't do it". Hurts my ears and my mouth doesn't quite know how to form the words. Basically, I'll do it all. With every project I'm presented with, I dive into it and don't come out of it until I've created a fantastic piece of work, or until I've learned a valuable lesson.
I have a background in curiosity and creativity, and these two things fit into my ability to write. I studied journalism at The University of Kansas and learned how to back up stories with fact and how to tell them well. I know how to get points across quickly and effectively.
Fittingly enough, I was hired at a children's marketing company in Kansas City with the title "Story Teller". Everyone asks me how I landed a job that demanded a large sum of conceptualizing and writing for kids, what I tell them is, 'I have an imagination that is filled to the brim with devotion'.
I've perfected my grammar skills, taught myself BtoB writing tactics, written content for many clients and I've even written a children's book for a non-profit. It is currently in the process of being illustrated.
I'm a Self Starter.
I've also learned what it's like to be the only writer on a design team full of illustrators/designers.
firstname.lastname@example.org • 913-378-7519
University of Kansas. Lawrence, Kansas. Class of 2010.
William Allen White School of Journalism and Mass Communications.
Bachelor of Science in Journalism, News and Information. Minor in Women’s Studies
Worked 25-30 hours a week to pay for 95 percent of college expenses
Copywriter // C3 - Creative Consumer Concepts . Leawood, Kansas. June 2011–Present.
• Generate creative copy for accounts in sync with clients’ brands
• Edit and proof copy on all client and internal projects
• Brainstorm new game ideas and storylines for menus and activity books
• Research information for design work i.e. facts on menus and activity books
• Help generate new ideas for Quick Service Restaurant (QSR) toys for clients
• Research liaison between client service and design departments
• Assist in composing external communications
• Update and manage design blog, c3upstairs.blogspot.com
Intern // Community Impact Newspaper. Houston, Texas December 2010-March 2011
• Wrote stories and briefs for a newspaper that covered multiple suburbs of Houston
• Helped maintain website
• Gathered info and interview sources
Reporter/Writer // Jayplay Magazine. Lawrence, Kansas. Fall 2009
• Wrote stories for a specific beat
• Sought out student sources and incorporated many of them in stories
• Met deadlines with three stories a week
Freelance Reporter // Liberty Press. Wichita, Kansas. 2008-2009
• Reported on gender and sexuality issues and events in Kansas
• Compiled in-depth interviews for profile stories
• Took pictures to accompany stories
Reporter/Writer // The Daily Kansan. Lawrence, Kansas. Fall 2007
• Wrote for opinion section
• Reported on student-related issues
• Pitched story ideas
• Highly conceptual and extremely creative
• Ability to adapt to frequent changes and tight deadlines
• Strong editing and fact checking skills
• Familiarity in web, video and audio production
• Software familiarity in Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator and Flash
• Software proficiency in Word, Excel, Powerpoint and Keynote
Pat Piper // Previous Creative Director
Senior Editorial Director - Packaging & Mass Merchandising
Hallmark Cards Inc.
2501 McGee St.
Kansas City, MO
Ian Davidson // Current Colleague & Mentor
Senior Manager, Brand Insights
C3- Creative Consumer Insights
10955 Granada Ln.
Overland Park, KS
Sue Novak // College Professor & Advisor
Lecturer and Coordinator of Bremner Editing Center
The University of Kansas, School of Journalism
1435 Jayhawk Boulevard
- Children's Books
- Content development
- Creative direction